Triterpenoid compounds from Ganoderma lucidum have a marked anti-androgenic effect, inhibiting 5alpha-reductase and significantly reducing testosterone-induced growth of the ventral prostate in rats. In a randomized clinical trial 6mg daily dose of an ethanolic extract produced improvements in International Prostate Symptom Score in men over the age of 501-6.
An aqueous extract of Phellinus linteus has also been reported to inhibit testosterone induced BPH in vivo at a dose of 1.725ml/kg7.
G. lucidum triterpene-rich extract (1-3g/day).
1. Anti-androgenic activities of Ganoderma lucidum. Fujita R, Liu J, Shimizu K, Konishi F, Noda K, Kumamoto S, Ueda C, Tajiri H, Kaneko S, Suimi Y, Kondo R. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;102(1):107–112.
2. The anti-androgen effect of ganoderol B isolated from the fruiting body of Ganoderma lucidum. Liu J, Shimizu K, Konishi F, Kumamoto S, Kondo R. Bioorg Med Chem. 2007;15(14):4966–4972.
3. 5alpha-reductase inhibitory effect of triterpenoids isolated from Ganoderma lucidum. Liu J, Kurashiki K, Shimizu K, Kondo R. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006;29(2):392–395.
4. Ganoderma lucidum is an inhibitor of testosterone-induced prostatic hyperplasia in rats. Nahata A, Dixit VK. Andrologia. 2012;44(Suppl 1):160–174.
5. Effect of an extract of Ganoderma lucidum in men with lower urinary tract symptoms: a double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized and dose-ranging study. Noguchi M, Kakuma T, Tomiyasu K, Kurita Y, Kukihara H, Konishi F, Kumamoto S, Shimizu K, Kondo R, Matsuoka K. Asian J Androl. 2008;10(4):651–658.
6. Randomized clinical trial of an ethanol extract of Ganoderma lucidum in men with lower urinary tract symptoms. Noguchi M, Kakuma T, Tomiyasu K, Yamada A, Itoh K, Konishi F, Kumamoto S, Shimizu K, Kondo R, Matsuoka K. Asian J Androl. 2008;10(5):777–785.
7. Effect of Phellius linteus water extract on benign prostatic hyperplasia. Kim YN, Kim MS, Chun SS, Choi JH. Nutr Res Pract. 2013;7(3):172–177.