Triterpenoid compounds from Ganoderma lucidum have a marked anti-androgenic effect, inhibiting 5alpha-reductase and significantly reducing testosterone-induced growth of the ventral prostate in rats. In a randomized clinical trial 6mg daily dose of an ethanolic extract produced improvements in International Prostate Symptom Score in men over the age of 501-6.
An aqueous extract of Phellinus linteus has also been reported to inhibit testosterone induced BPH in vivo at a dose of 1.725ml/kg7.
G. lucidum triterpene-rich extract (1-3g/day).
1. Anti-androgenic activities of Ganoderma lucidum. Fujita R, Liu J, Shimizu K, Konishi F, Noda K, Kumamoto S, Ueda C, Tajiri H, Kaneko S, Suimi Y, Kondo R. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005; 102(1):107-12.
2. The anti-androgen effect of ganoderol B isolated from the fruiting body of Ganoderma lucidum. Liu J, Shimizu K, Konishi F, Kumamoto S, Kondo R. Bioorg Med Chem. 2007;15(14):4966-72.
3. 5alpha-reductase inhibitory effect of triterpenoids isolated from Ganoderma lucidum. Liu J, Kurashiki K, Shimizu K, Kondo R. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006;29(2):392-5.
4. Ganoderma lucidum is an inhibitor of testosterone-induced prostatic hyperplasia in rats. Nahata A, Dixit VK. Andrologia. 2012 May;44 Suppl 1:160-74.
5. Effect of an extract of Ganoderma lucidum in men with lower urinary tract symptoms: a double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized and dose-ranging study. Noguchi M et al. Asian J Androl. 2008 Jul;10(4):651-8. Epub 2007 Dec 20.
6. Randomized clinical trial of an ethanol extract of Ganoderma lucidum in men with lower urinary tract symptoms. Noguchi M et al. Asian J Androl. 2008 Sep;10(5):777-85.
7. Effect of Phellius linteus water extract on benign prostatic hyperplasia. Kim YN, Kim MS, Chun SS, Choi JH. Nutr Res Pract. 2013 Jun;7(3):172-7.